This tutorial shows how to install CentOS 5.7 32 x86 server. This steps may be similar with other version of CentOS or RHEL and i do not issue any guarantee that this will work for you. Assume that you already downloaded the CentOS 5.7 DVD from public mirrors on the internet.
1. Insert CentOS 5.7 DVD 1 inside CD/DVD-ROM drive then reboot Server. Press <ENTER> at the boot prompt:
2. Click Skip Media test.
3. Click Next to proceed.
4. Select the prefer language that you want to use during the installation.
5. Select your keyboard layout:
6. If you are installing CentOS 5.7 on a fresh system, so Please answer Yes to the question. This will proceed to initialize the drive and erasing ALL DATA. Please proceed if the server don’t have previous important datas.
7. Change partition layouts. Click Create custom layout.
8. Select the first hard disk, /dev/sda.
9. Create boot partition with default recommended size which is 100MB.
10. Create Swap partition. In this case i create 2GB swap size because the server RAM is 1GB. Swap size is equal with RAM x 2.
11. Select maximum allowable size for / partition. Click Ok.
12. Verify the partition size before proceed. Click “Next” button if it’s OK all.